Thursday, December 29, 2011

2012 Challenges: The Master Sign Up Post

I had originally intended to write separate sign up posts for all of my intended Reading Challenges for 2012, but after the second one, I knew nobody was going to read 17 of those.  

Yeah, I know.  Seventeen reading challenges. That's 3 more than I signed up for last year. I've said it before: this is the literary equivalent of my husband's Fantasy Football team.  

My approach to reading challenges is this:  I don't plan my reading to coincide with nor center around any particular challenge. Rather, it's pretty certain that whatever book I'm reading at the moment can most likely be matched to any of the various challenges I have going on at the time.  And I like that a-ha moment of discovery. If I find I'm falling short in one challenge, then there's the fun of trying to find books that might have been on my TBR list that would qualify. I try not to stress over all of this and to remember that it is really all in the name of fun. 

Anyway, so here goes it for 2012.  All of these run from January 1-December 31, 2012 unless otherwise specified. You can go to the blog url listed on the button for more details or within my description if you'd like to join in.  


1. The 2nds Challenge was a really fun challenge for me last year, so I was glad to see that it is being offered again. It's at its own designated blog this year.  I'm signing up at the "A few more bites" level, which means I'm committing to reading 6 books that are the second in a series or the second time I've read the author.  


2. I've been meaning to participate in the A-Z Book Challenge every year, but for some reason, I never get around to signing up. This year, I'm adding this one to my list. I don't expect to be able to finish this challenge, truthfully, but it will be fun to see how far I get.  

3. I'm in the car a lot for work, especially during the spring and fall months, so the Audio Book Challenge hosted by Teresa's Reading Corner is a given.  I'm going to increase my goal for this one to the Going Steady level, which means that I'll strive to listen to 12 audio books this year. That should really be no problem.  (25 seems a little high, but that might not even be entirely out of the question, especially in the fall.)


4. The 2012 Chunkster Challenge is hosted by Wendy and Vasilly at chunksterchallenge.blogspot.com. There are a few changes to the 2012 challenge, namely the dates. It typically started in February but has now switched to beginning on January 1. There are several other changes too, so you'll want to read the sign up post carefully. I'm going for The Chubby Chunkster, which means that I will be aiming to read 4 books of at least 450 pages. (Personally, I'm striving for The Plump Primer level - especially since there are new categories allowed this year! - but am only officially commiting to the Chubby Chunkster).


5. The E-Book Challenge has a new host this year, that of Sarah of Workaday Reads.  I only read 6 e-books this year (which is pretty pathetic, but still met my goal for this year's challenge). Still, I'd like to increase that number, so I'm going for the CD level, which is 10 e-books.


6. For Serena's Fearless Poetry Exploration Challenge, I am going to commit to reading and reviewing two books of poetry during 2012.

7. I didn't do so well with the Foodies Reading Challenge this year (bit off a bit more than I could chew) but that' not stopping me from going back to the buffet table for more. I'm going for the Pastry Chef level this year, which means that I will strive to read 4-8 food-related books.


8. I'm delighted to be hosting the Memorable Memoirs Reading Challenge again, and it certainly isn't too late to sign up if you haven't already done so. You can do so here.  We keep things pretty low-key. I'm going for the Memoirist level on this, which means I'm going to try and read 10 or more memoirs.  We'll see if that happens.  This year I read 9.


9. This is absolutely, without a doubt, THE challenge I need this year. I mean, if I do no other challenge, this is the one, hosted by My Readers Block. I need to make a serious commitment to reading my own books this year.  I know I say this each and every year, but we're quickly becoming crunched for space here in the apartment and my books are a big part of that problem. I also have quite a few boxes in storage, too.  That being said, I'm going for the Mt. Ararat level, which means I am committing to reading 40 of my own books.  This is HUGE for me, people, especially when you consider I'm probably only going to read 70 books total this entire year. But it needs to be done.  That's 3-4 books a month.  Definitely doable.


10. Hosted by Literary Escapism. I really enjoy this challenge, and I confess that it's one of the easier ones for me. I like discovering new authors and am going for the 25 New Author level again this year.


11. I love reading non-fiction, so I am thrilled to see that Julie of My Book Retreat is hosting a Non-Fiction Non-Memoir Reading Challenge. I'm officially in for the Diploma Level on this one (10 nonfiction books) but I'd really like to strive for the Bachelor's level (15 nonfiction books).


12. I think self-published authors tend to take a lot of crap, so I'm glad that Sarah is hosting the Self-Published Reading Challenge.  I'm going for the Sentence level (5 books) on this one.

13. I'm so glad someone (Library of Clean Reads) is hosting a Short Story Reading Challenge, because you know how much I love my short stories. I'm going for the Tales Galore level for this one, which is 7-9 books (collections of short stories).


14. This was another challenge that I didn't fare so well at this year, but I'm going for the Y'all Come Back Now, Y'Hear? Level on this one in 2012. That means I'm committing to read 4 books set in the South (SC, GA, AL, NC, VA, TN, MS, LA, KY, WV, TX, AR, FL) and written by an author from the South.


15. Also hosted by Library of Clean Reads, is the Time Travel Reading Challenge. I'm going for the Surprise Trip, which is 1-3 books.


16. This is probably going to be my most challenging Challenge of this year.  Truth in Fiction is being hosted by Fig and Thistle  with the goal of reading a specified number of book pairs that are comprised of one fiction book and one related non-fiction book. (The non-fiction book could be journals, memoirs, etc.) Instead of individual reviews, after each pair write a joint review. I'm going for the Sophomore level on this Challenge, which is to do 2 such pairings.


17. Finally, the What's In a Name Reading Challenge is one of my favorites, so I am absolutely thrilled that Beth Fish Reads is hosting this again!  This one is a lot of fun, as we have to read one book in each of the following categories:

A book with a topographical feature (land formation) in the title
A book with something you'd see in the sky in the title 
A book with a creepy crawly in the title
A book with a type of house in the title
A book with something you'd carry in your pocket, purse, or backpack in the title
A book with a something you'd find on a calendar in the title.

I can't guarantee that I won't be adding to this, but I think that's a pretty good list.  How about you? Are you participating in any of these challenges?  Did I entice you to join me in any? 



copyright 2011, Melissa, The Betty and Boo Chronicles If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

11 comments:

Book Dragon said...

Fabulous idea! Too bad I've done mine. I did combine several (romance for instance).

My jaw hit the floor when I saw 17. I mean, really? 17? We've joined several of the same ones. I look forward to reading about your progress.

Happy New Year!!!!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I'm working on my end of the year challenge post as well as my sign up post for 2012...I approach challenges very similarly to you...I read...if something I read fits a challenge, I slap it in that category :) From time to time I visit my challenges and see where I am. I'm certainly not going to sign up for a challenge including books I have no interest in, so it's a win-win situation for me...and I take it all in fun :) Memoirs are one of my favorite genres and I only read ONE this past year!! That must be fixed!!

Bev Hankins said...

Welcome to the Mt. TBR Challenge! I look forward to seeing you wave from atop Ararat sometime in 2012.

I'm doing the What's in a Name Challenge too. That one was great fun in 2011 and I think the categories are even better this year.

17 is a nice large number of challenges...I've got 24 myself. Have you consider joining your fellow Challenge-a-holics over at The Reading Challenge Addicts Challenge? (http://readingchallengeaddict.blogspot.com/)

:-)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I'm in awe. I don't think I read 17 books in a year, let alone 17 challenges. Good luck!

Laura Fabiani said...

Hi Melissa,
Looks like you like challenges as much as I do! And thank you for joining me on both of my challenges (Time Travel and Short Story). I'm so excited and I look forward to reading your reviews!

Teresa said...

That is a great approach to challenges. I love that a ha moment as well.

Thanks for joining the Audio Book Challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up listening to.

Julie said...

That's a lot of challenges! Thanks for making the Non-Fiction Non-Memoir challenge one of the ones you are doing in 2012. Happy New Year!

Lost In Kudzu said...

Love your banner picture! I am not quite brave enough to sign up for 17 (!) challenges but I saw your name in 3 of the ones I've picked for myself (Mt TBR, Short Story, Nonfiction Nonmemoir). Looking forward to seeing what you are reading :)

Shannon @ Reading Has Purpose said...

Sighs..... Just when I thought I had compiled my final list of 2012 Challenges. Looks like I'll be adding a few more. Great list!

Introverted Jen said...

Ooh, 17! I'm impressed. Although I might get there by the time I'm finished! Thanks for signing up for the Southern Lit challenge, and good luck with everything!

Serena said...

Thanks for joining the poetry challenge